- Heitz Cellars began in 1961, built from the ground up by Joe and Alice Heitz.
- The winery was the first in Napa Valley to include a single vineyard designation on a wine label: the hallowed ‘Martha’s Vineyard’.
- 100% of Heitz’ vineyards are certified organic, and are being converted to biodynamic farming.
- Heitz is celebrated for their old-school winemaking style, and commitment to producing age-worthy wines. They tend to have lower pH than other Napa Cabernets, and are known to age gracefully for 40+ years.
- Heitz is one of very few producers in the world that blocks malolactic fermentation in its reds, preserving malic acid, which contributes to the wines’ freshness and ageing potential.
- Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon is aged for a minimum of 4 years before release, while the single vineyard wines are aged 5 years.
” In 1961, Joe and Alice purchased their first vineyard, 8 acres just south of St. Helena. Working out of the small winery attached to the parcel, they put in round-the-clock sweat equity to build their business. “
Heitz Wine Cellars rapidly established a reputation as home base for one of the Napa Valley’s most innovative and brilliant winemakers, and the unassuming winery soon became a prestigious destination for wine connoisseurs. In 1964, the Heitz family acquired a 160-acre vineyard property in Spring Valley, a small fold in the eastern hills of St. Helena. Joe sharpened his focus on Cabernet, and the following year, he and Alice made a serendipitous connection with Tome and Martha May who owned a young vineyard in Oakville. After a handshake deal firm enough to last decades and a single harvest of the May’s remarkable Cabernet grapes, Joe and Tom agreed to reserve the fruit from the next harvest for a singular production.
In 1966, Joe crafted the first Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon — a wine so remarkable that the two families decided to add a vineyard designation to the Heitz Cellars’ label, initiating that concept in the Napa Valley.
NAPA CABERNET SAUVIGNON
TRAILSIDE CABERNET SAUVIGNON
MARTHA’S VINEYARD CABERNET