- Founded in 2005 by amateur ‘garagistes’ Russell Bevan and Victoria DeCrescenzo.
- Known for their massive and hugely complex ‘Cult Cabernets’, Syrah, and Bordeaux blends.
- Bevan’s Sugarloaf Mountain Red was the only Napa Valley wine of the difficult 2011 vintage to be awarded 100 points by Robert Parker.
- Bevan sorts their fruit ridiculously judiciously and employs cold soaks, and extended maceration.
- Total production ~8,000 cases
“We learned first-hand about Philip Togni’s attention to every minute detail…. Saw how Bob Foley would only pick fruit if his palate — not some lab test — told him it was time… Heard Greg La Follette telling us how careful you have to be when making decisions in the winery because even the smallest decision has an impact on the final wine. Our conversations still reverberate with me whether I am at a vineyard or in the winery.”
“Our approach to winemaking has remained constant since our first vintage. We inspect every grape after it has been removed from the stem. We discard every one that doesn’t meet our standards; typically sacrificing six to eight percent of our fruit during this process. From that stage on, every wine is crafted to maximize balance and textures. Each of our vineyards imparts their fruit with such pure flavors that we strive to bring all of the components into harmony.
All of our wines are aged in new French barrels, including Remond, Francois Freres and Gamba for our Syrahs and Darnajou and Taransaud for Cabernet Sauvignon. We evaluate each barrel of wine biweekly, allowing the wines to dictate to us how they are treated in terms of racking, barrel stirring, sulfur additions and bottling.”
DRY STACK SAUVIGNON BLANC
RITCHIE VINEYARD CHARDONNAY
PETALUMA GAP PINOT NOIR
TENCH VINEYARD ‘EE’ RED
TENCH VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON
WILDFOOTE ‘VIXEN BLOCK’ CABERNET SAUVIGNON
MCGAH VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON
SUGARLOAF PROPRIETARY RED